Monday, January 10, 2011

Bucket

Those of you who have followed my blog and receive my newsletters most likely remember Timothy's story. He had a serious speech problem and, as a result, was often teased by his peers. Since April, I have been meeting with Timothy on a regular basis to help him with his speech and reading, and I am continually amazed by all the progress he has been making.

Today, I went to the orphanage to teach Timothy's lesson. Before I got a chance to sit down with him, though, Evelyn (the mother of the home) pulled me aside and said, "Elena, I want to tell you about the good English that your son was speaking today!" She said that Timothy and a few of the other kids had been drawing water, and all of them were talking about the "buck-eh" (FYI: many ending sounds are omitted in Liberian English.) Finally, Timothy spoke up and corrected them: "It's not buck-eh; it's bucket! You have to pronounce the 't'!"

It's a funny story, but it also melted my heart because it reminded me of just how far Timothy has come. (It also totally made me feel like a proud parent!) Sometimes, I can get overwhelmed when I focus on the enormity of need here and I start trying to figure out how to help them all. But then I remember stories like Timothy's, and it brings me back to reality. I wasn't called to help them all--but I was called to help Timothy.

Mother Teresa once said, "If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one." I love that. The truth is, I can't help them all. I wish I could, but it's just not possible. But I can help one. And that's a pretty good start, if you ask me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elana, I've been talking to Rebecca about helping raise support for ORR and the wonderful work you are doing there. Is this blog the best way to communicate with you? GBTY, TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi TJ,

    Thanks for supporting ORR and the work that we do! Yes, you can keep in touch with me here on my blog, or you can email me at elena[at]orphanreliefandrescue[dot]org.
    Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete